Deadline for submitting applications: November 15, 2021
About the Texas Architect Magazine
Texas Architect is an award-winning bi-monthly print magazine and website (txamagazine.org) that covers current work and topics around architecture and the architectural profession in the Lone Star State. TA has been published by the Texas Society of Architects, a state component of the American Institute of Architects, since 1950 and has evolved into one of the most respected regional architectural periodicals in the nation. The position reports to the Executive Vice President/CEO of the Society.
About the Texas Society of Architects
The Texas Society of Architects (TxA) was founded in 1939 as the state component of the American Institute of Architects. As a 501(c)(6) professional membership organization of approximately 7500 architects, TxA is the voice for Texas architecture, supporting the creation of safe, beautiful, sustainable environments. TxA advances Texas architecture, the architectural profession, and the power of design through advocacy, knowledge, and communication.
TxA works on behalf of Texas architects to ensure they are broadly represented and are recognized as creative and innovative leaders for the built environment. Headquartered in Austin, TxA is the third largest regional component of AIA National and the host of 18 local AIA components.
Expected Expertise and Experience
- Editing six print issues of TA per year, establishing best practices, guiding the magazine’s tone and point of view, meeting deadlines, operating with budgets, collaborating with freelancers, managing contractors, evaluating pitches, making assignments, overseeing layout with the art director, writing, and editing content.
- Serving as the liaison with the Texas Society of Architects’ Publications committee, a 12-person editorial board of member architects who assist the editor, including running six meetings per year, one of which is a retreat.
- Developing editorial calendars and working with sales consultant to create media kits and ensure the publication’s economic viability.
- Overseeing the magazine’s website.
- Managing the Society’s staff in relation to the magazine which includes a managing editor and an intern.
- Managing the relationships with the Society’s design and proofreading consultants.
- Supporting allied Society initiatives, including two design award programs, a design conference, and an annual conference and design expo, including potentially moderating panels and giving presentations.
- Engaging with the architectural community in Texas, nationally, and globally to ensure that the TA continues to represent, inform, and elevate the profession.
Required Skills and Qualities
- 5+ years of experience in an editorial and/or architectural field
- Deep knowledge and enthusiasm for architecture, design, and urbanism
- Excellent verbal skills and mastery of grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Proven ability to manage a team and collaborate with consultants
- Position requires some travel
- Position is in Austin, Texas
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to email@example.com for consideration by November 15, 2021. We’ll follow up with candidates shortly thereafter.